It’s been a long winter this year, and some find it hard to break out of the winter blahs and into the glory of spring. Sometimes, a little color can help. Your body is an energy system. You can slow down your heart rate or speed it up, simply by getting centered, breathing deeply and visualizing color. You can also train yourself to detect colors by taking your hand and placing it over a “color” card to determine if it’s a cool or warm color. With practice you can determine the nuances of each color. You can also work with your hands to visualize sending out the color through your hands to help someone or even yourself.
Healing a Headache
Visualize the color yellow then take your hands and place them over your temples than place one hand on your forehead and the other on the back of the head. Picture the color yellow streaming through your hands.
Everything in moderation, as the saying goes. And so it applies to color as well. Too much of one color can have a debilitating effect.
In Ted Andrews’ book, Healing with Color, he talks about the basics of different colors, and how they can impact the human body.
- White – Awakens creativity
- Black – a protective color, it can be used to ground and calm extremely sensitive individuals. Use black in conjunction with white.
- Red– stimulates. It energizes the base chakra. It energizes the blood and helps with colds and mucus ailments. Too much red can be over stimulating.
- Orange – the color of joy and wisdom. It stimulates feelings of sociability. Orange can assist healing the spleen, pancreas, stomach, intestines and adrenals.
- Yellow – stimulates the mental faculties. It stimulates the solar plexus. It reawakens enthusiasm for life. Helps treat depression and can benefit digestive issues.
- Green – balances energies. Can be used to increase sensitivities and compassion. It has a calming effect for inflamed conditions of the body.
- Blue – is cooling and relaxing. It quiets energies and has an antiseptic quality.
- Indigo – dynamic healing color on the spiritual and physical level. Strengthens the lymph system, glands, and immune system. Blood purifier.
- Violet – affects the skeletal system. Cleansing and purifying. Good for cancerous conditions of the body. Arthritis can be eased by violet light.
- Pink – can be used to awaken compassion, love and purity. It eases conditions of anger and feelings of neglect. It can be used in meditation to awaken greater truths.
Shifting Energy In Your Home: The Art of Feng Shui
Sometimes the home can feel stuffy. Air seems to stagnate and there is no energy flow. Changes can be made by introducing color. Feng Shui is an ancient Chinese art used to balance energy and create harmony in the home. Depending on how your home is positioned (does the front door of your home point East, West, North or South?) will determine how rooms should be decorated and how they should be painted. While it may seem odd that a darkened hallway should be painted orange, you will be surprised at the joy you will experience with this delightful color. Gray is a great color for an office because it energizes the individual working in it. An easy-to-read overview on Feng Shui can be found here: http://fengshui.about.com/od/fengshuicures/qt/fengshuicolor.htm. If you have not introduced Feng Shui into your environment, I highly recommend it. It’s fun to try new colors and room layouts to change the energy of your home. One tip worth considering: if you have a long hallway that has a door at the end, hang a crystal at the entry point. The reason is energy gathers at the entry point and shoots full speed to the end of the hall. Years ago, I had moved into a refurbished house and noticed a long dark hallway. I thought “this hallway needs a crystal.” When I looked down, I noticed that the floor was buckled. I was told an earthquake (this did not occur in California but Georgia!) occurred and damaged the wood floor in the hallway. Take a look around your home and see if there are any long hallways that could benefit from a crystal to break up the energy.
To enhance energy flow: fans are good for moving energy as are pets (the ones that run around, not the ones that lay around), wind chimes can imply air flow, and there are other remedies as well. Welcome spring with a splash of new color and energy flow with yourself and your environment.